During our fifth annual Upfront event today, we unveiled new research from a joint study with Omnicom Media Group’s Annalect and CivicScience about Millennials’ movie-going habits. Millennials make up the largest frequent movie-going age group, and purchased over 358 million tickets in NCM movie theaters last year!
Good things to know:
- Millennials are 50% more likely than the general population to say that movies are a passion of theirs.
- Millennials want to talk about their movie-going experience, and are more likely to be influenced by social media (Facebook and YouTube in particular).
- 46% of Millennials aim to go to the movies on a film’s opening weekend.
- The most frequently reported reason for seeing a movie in a theater is that Millennials don’t want to miss out by waiting until a movie is available at home (FOMO!).
- Exclusive theatrical formats like IMAX and 11.1 surround sound, coupled with luxury amenities like recliner seating and upgraded food options, are key drivers for a generation willing to pay more for a better experience.
- Millennials are the age group most likely to purchase movie tickets in advance.
- 86% of Millennials arrive early to the movie theater.