Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
MGM is close to securing a deal with Reese Witherspoon to reprise her classic role as Elle Woods in Legally Blonde 3. The studio is quickly putting the project together with the original film’s writers and producers. While the third installment will maintain the spirit of the first Legally Blonde released 17 years ago, “the intention [with Legally Blonde 3] is to make this more about female empowerment.” (Deadline)
Warner Bros. has plans to create a standalone film for Jared Leto’s version of The Joker. While plot details are unknown, the studio is looking to expand on the world of Suicide Squad that will tie into future installments of that property. A Harley Quinn film based on the Birds of Prey comic series has already been announced. (Variety)
On the other side of the Warner Bros. lot, Ryan Gosling, Donald Glover and Ezra Miller are on the shortlist for the lead actor role in a Willy Wonka remake. The project, led by Paddington director Paul King, is rumored to be a prequel that explores Wonka’s origin story. (Collider)
Sterling K. Brown will join Blake Lively in Rhythm Section, a spy movie in which “a woman (Lively)…assumes three different identities as she seeks to uncover the truth behind a plane crash that killed her family – a flight that she was meant to be on.” Filming will resume this month following Lively’s recovery from an on-set hand injury. Rhythm Section is slated for release on February 22, 2019. (Hollywood Reporter)
Oscar Isaac and Charlize Theron have been cast as the voices of Gomez and Morticia Addams in MGM’s animated comedy The Addams Family. Additional cast members include Chloe Grace Moretz (Wednesday Addams), Finn Wolfhard (Pugsley Addams), Nick Kroll (Uncle Fester), Bette Midler (Grandmama) and Allison Janney (Margaux Needler, the Addams’ arch nemesis). The film opens October 11, 2019. (Variety)
Noah Hawley has finished his screenplay for a solo Doctor Doom film, but there are no plans to move forward. Not only will Hawley’s focus shift to Pale Blue Dot when filming begins in July, but the recent acquisition by Disney of 20th Century Fox leaves ownership of Doctor Doom’s character in question. “I think the studio would like to make it,” said Hawley. “I think we’re all just trying to figure out how and when we’re gonna do that.” (Vulture)
James Marsden will star in live-action/animation hybrid Sonic the Hedgehog, the first film adaptation of SEGA’s classic video game character. Jeff Fowler will direct the film, while Deadpool director Tim Miller will serve as executive producer along with Toby Ascher. The movie is scheduled to release on November 15, 2019. (Variety)
Details surrounding the Billie Holiday biopic Billie are coming together. In addition to rumors that R&B artist Andra Day will play the titular lead and Sorry to Bother You’s Lakeith Stanfield will take on the lead male role, Lee Daniels is in talks to direct the film. The project is still in need of a studio, though hopes are production will begin before the end of the year. (Variety)
Justin Bieber is developing an animated movie about Cupid. The film will be produced by Bieber’s agent, Scootber Braun, through his co-founded Mythos Studios. Bieber shared a first look at sketches of the main character on Instagram. (Variety)
Click below to watch the latest trailers and clips.
- Operation Finale (Release Date: September 14)
- White Boy Rick (September 21)
- The Old Man & The Gun (October 5)
- A Star is Born (October 5)
- Suspiria (November 2)
- Widows (November 16)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It-Ralph 2 (November 21)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (December 14)
- Mortal Engines (December 14)
- BumbleBee (December 21)
- The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (February 2019)
- Ocean’s 8: Debbie Ocean gathers an all-female crew to attempt an impossible heist at New York City’s yearly Met Gala.
- Hotel Artemis: Set in riot-torn, near-future Los Angeles, ‘Hotel Artemis’ follows the Nurse, who runs a secret, members-only emergency room for criminals.
- Hereditary: When the matriarch of the Graham family passes away, her daughter’s family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry.
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor: An exploration of the life, lessons, and legacy of iconic children’s television host, Fred Rogers.
- Hearts Beat Loud: A father and daughter form an unlikely songwriting duo in the summer before she leaves for college.