Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
Disney rearranged several release dates in their film slate. Most notably, Indiana Jones 5 was pushed again to July 9, 2021. This would make Harrison Ford 79 by the film’s release. Other release date changes include Jungle Cruise (October 11, 2019), Maleficent 2 (May 29, 2020) and an untitled Marvel film due February 21, 2021. (Hollywood Reporter)
Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker film is official at Warner Bros. Directed by Todd Phillips, the film is set to begin production this September in New York. The Joker stand-alone title is “meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.” (Hollywood Reporter)
Djimon Honsou was quietly cast into a pivotal role for DC’s Shazam! Honsou will play a 3,000 year-old sorcerer that gives young Billy Baston his powers. Filming has already wrapped for Shazam!, set to hit theaters April 5, 2019. (Entertainment Weekly)
Brie Larson confirmed the end of filming for Captain Marvel on her Twitter page. Larson plays the titular character, who will be the first standalone female star in the Marvel Cinematic Universe when the film hits theaters March 8, 2019. (Twitter)
Billy Dee Williams will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian in Star Wars: Episode IX. Lando was most recently adapted in Solo: A Star Wars Story by Donald Glover. Directed by J.J. Abrams, Episode IX hits theaters December 20, 2019. (Hollywood Reporter)
Dwayne Johnson hinted at superhero cameos in DC’s Black Adam. “Without giving anything away, there might be maybe a cameo or two of some of the other DC superheroes,” said Johnson. “That’s been the beauty of Black Adam as we’ve been developing it is that we could make a movie that just stood on its own too as well, but that’s also the beauty of those universes coming together at DC.” (Cinema Blend)
Jeremy Renner has joined the cast of Spawn, a Blumhouse comic adaptation starring Jamie Foxx. Renner will play Detective ‘Twitch’ Williams, Spawn’s unconventional partner that “has the intelligence and intuition” to help Foxx’s character in his fight against evil. Spawn does not have a release date at this time. (Deadline)
Legendary Entertainment and Sunrise, a Japanese animation studio, are co-producing a live action-adaptation of anime Mobile Suit Gundam. The announcement came at Anime Expo 2018, though there is no word yet on the plot, director, cast or release date. (/Film)
Collider confirmed Nicolas Cage will voice Spider-Man Noir in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Spider-Man Noir is one of four confirmed iterations of the friendly neighborhood hero in Sony’s upcoming animated adaptation, in theaters December 14. (Collider)
Click below to watch the latest trailers.
- Christopher Robin (August 3)
- Life Itself (September 21)
- Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (October 12)
- The Favourite (November 23)
- Wonder Park (March 15, 2019)
- Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation: While on a vacation with his family, Count Dracula makes a romantic connection.
- Skyscraper: A father goes to great lengths to save his family from a burning skyscraper.
- Don’t Worry, He Won’t Go Far on Foot: On the rocky path to sobriety after a life-changing accident, John Callahan discovers the healing power of art, willing his injured hands into drawing hilarious, often controversial cartoons, which bring him a new lease on life.
- Eighth Grade: A teenager tries to survive the last week of her disastrous eighth-grade year before leaving to start high school.