Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
San Diego Comic-Con brought us new looks at highly-anticipated films including Aquaman, Shazam!, Godzilla: King of Monsters and more. Click below for the best recaps from Hall H. (ComicBook)
- Warner Bros. (Aquaman, Shazam!, Godzilla: King of Monsters, Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Gindelwald)
- Sony (Venom, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- Paramount (Halloween, Glass)
- 20th Century Fox (The Predator)
Robert DeNiro is in talks for a pivotal role in a Joker solo movie starring Joaquin Phoenix. DeNiro’s character, according to Hollywood Reporter, “would play a talk show host who is somehow instrumental in the Joker’s origin.” (Hollywood Reporter)
Tom Hooper’s film adaptation of Broadway classic Cats is getting an all-star cast. Jennifer Hudson, Taylor Swift, James Corden and Ian McKellen are all signed onto the project. There is no word yet on which characters they will play. (Variety)
The Toronto International Film Festival released its initial program announcement. Notable films included in the galas and special presentations are Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s A Star is Born, Ryan Gosling’s First Man, Steve Carell and Timotheé Chalamet’s Beautiful Boy and the world premiere of Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight follow-up, If Beale Street Could Talk. (Los Angeles Times)
ComingSoon shared new set photos from Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The photos show Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt’s characters driving together, while others show Tarantino and Al Pacino discussing an upcoming scene. In all shots featuring Tarantino, the director can be seen in classic 60s outfits to match the setting of the film. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood hits theaters July 26, 2019. (ComingSoon)
A recorded version of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Broadway hit Hamilton is at the center of Hollywood’s latest bidding war. Despite the recent interest, sellers are asking that the recorded performance not be released until 2020 or later. The recording, made in 2016, is currently being priced at $50 million. (Variety)
[POTENTIAL SPOILERS] Stan Lee has a cameo in Teen Titans GO! To the Movies, in theaters this Friday. The cameo was revealed in a full screening of the film at San Diego Comic-Con this past weekend. (CinemaBlend)
Emma Thompson is returning to the world of Men In Black, reprising her role as Agent O, the chief of the M.I.B. organization. She joins a top-tier cast including Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson, Liam Neeson, Kumail Nanjiani, Rafe Spall and the Les Twins dancing duo. Plot details for the spinoff film are still under wraps. (Hollywood Reporter)
Deadpool 2 director David Leitch is in talks to direct an Enter the Dragon remake. The 1973 original starring Bruce Lee celebrated its 45th anniversary last Friday. Warner Bros. is now looking to recruit a writer. (Deadline)
Click below to watch the latest trailers.
- I Think We’re Alone Now (September 21)
- Mid 90s (October 19)
- Peterloo (November 9)
- Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald (November 16)
- Second Act (November 21)
- Alita: Battle Angel (December 21)
- Aquaman (December 21)
- Glass (January 18, 2019)
- Shazam! (April 5, 2019)
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31, 2019)
- Mission: Impossible – Fallout: Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong.
- Teen Titans GO! To the Movies: A villain’s maniacal plan for world domination sidetracks five teenage superheroes who dream of Hollywood stardom.
- Puzzle: Agnes, taken for granted as a suburban mother, discovers a passion for solving jigsaw puzzles which unexpectedly draws her into a new world – where her life unfolds in ways she could never have imagined.
- Hot Summer Nights: A boy comes of age during a summer he spends in Cape Cod.