Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
Disney and Lucasfilm announced the cast of Star Wars: Episode IX, confirming the return of Mark Hamill and a Carrie Fisher feature. The feature, approved by Fisher’s daughter Billie, was filmed during production of The Force Awakens. Billy Dee Williams will also return to the Star Wars franchise, reprising his role of Lando Calrissian. Episode IX hits theaters December 20, 2019. (Variety)
Today, J.J. Abrams shared a Day 1 photo from the set of Star Wars: Episode IX. The photo is mostly out of focus, but appears to show John Boyega (Finn) in the middle of a scene. The camera in-focus shows the roman numerals “VII” and “IX,” suggesting the equipment Abrams is using could be re-used from his work on The Force Awakens. (Twitter)
Box office history continues for Incredibles 2 which just crossed the $1 billion mark at the global box office, becoming the 7th animated film all time to hit this milestone. Disney/Pixar’s latest is their 18th ever billion-dollar release and 3rd this year (Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War). (Deadline)
Paramount announced the start of production for Terminator with a first photo from set. The photo features the stars of the film including Natalia Reyes, Mackenzie Davis and Linda Hamilton reprising her role as Sarah Connor. Directed by Deadpool’s Tim Miller, the sequel hits theaters November 22, 2019. (Terminator)
Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska have been cast as the Angels in Sony’s reboot of Charlie’s Angels. Elizabeth Banks will direct the project and take on the role of Bosley, the enigmatic owner of the classic detective agency. Charlie’s Angels hits theaters September 27, 2019. (Hollywood Reporter)
Bryce Dallas Howard joining the cast of Paramount’s Rocketman, a biopic celebrating the life of Sir Elton John. Howard will play John’s mother, Sheila Eileen Dwight, while Taron Egerton will take on the lead role. Dwight and John had a contentious relationship until Dwight’s passing in December 2017. (Variety)
An all-star female cast is growing for a new project focused on the women of Fox News. Margot Robbie joins Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron for a film that “centers on the women who took on the toxic male culture of the news network and chief Roger Ailes.” Theron will play former host Megyn Kelly, Kidman will portray Gretchen Carlson and Robbie will play an associate producer at Fox News. (Hollywood Reporter)
Jordan Peele completed his casting for Get Out follow-up, Us. Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Madison Curry, Cali Sheldon and Noelle Sheldon join a cast including Lupita Nyong’o, Elisabeth Moss, Winston Duke and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. Us is currently in production with a March 15, 2019 release date. (Variety)
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, a biographical documentary about children’s television icon Fred Rogers, has become the highest-grossing biodoc of all time at over $20 million earned domestically. The film is on pace to earn $22-25 million by the end of its theatrical run. (Hollywood Reporter)
Click below to watch the latest trailers.
- Slender Man (August 10)
- Operation Finale (August 29)
- Venom (October 5)
- Jungle Cruise (October 11, 2019)
- Christopher Robin: A working-class family man, Christopher Robin, encounters his childhood friend Winnie-the-Pooh, who helps him to rediscover the joys of life.
- The Darkest Minds: Imprisoned by an adult world that now fears everyone under 18, a group of teens form a resistance group to fight back and reclaim control of their future.
- The Spy Who Dumped Me: Audrey and Morgan are best friends who unwittingly become entangled in an international conspiracy when one of the women discovers the boyfriend who dumped her was actually a spy.
- Never Goin’ Back: Jessie and Angela, high school dropouts, are taking a week off to chill at the beach. Too bad their house got robbed, rent’s due, they’re about to get fired, and they’re broke.