Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
Sonic the Hedgehog had the biggest box office opening ever for a video game movie! The live-action film brought in $70 million domestically, making it the fourth best President’s Day opening following Black Panther, Deadpool and Fifty Shades of Grey. Fantasy Island opened in third place, earning $14 million while Issa Rae’s The Photograph debuted not too far behind with $13.4 million over the holiday weekend. (ScreenRant)(/Film)
Following their historical Oscars win, Parasite’s ticket sales have increased over 200%. The massive increase is the biggest post-Oscars bump for a Best Picture winner within the last decade, surpassing the box office increase of last year’s winner, Green Book. (ScreenRant)
A24 has released a teaser trailer for The Green Knight starring Dev Patel. The upcoming epic fantasy adventure film is an interpretation of the 14th century poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Patel’s character Sir Gawain is a member of King Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table, whose virtue, honor and bravery is tested by one of Arthurian mythology’s best-known and most mysterious figures. The David Lowery directed film is set to hit theaters May 29 and will be one of the studio’s biggest screen counts to date. (Deadline)
Disney is developing a live-action Rapunzel movie for the big screen! The film may potentially be based on the hugely successful 2010 animated feature, Tangled, which brought in over $590 million worldwide. While details are still limited, The DisInsider has learned Ashleigh Powell, Michael De Luca and Kristin Burr will be involved in the film’s production. Disney is also developing new live-action versions of The Little Mermaid, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Lilo & Stitch, and Bambi. (CinemaBlend) (TheDisInsider)
The Hollywood Reporter has compiled a list of the most-anticipated movies for the rest of 2020. Moviegoers have the choice of over 75 films to enjoy including Emma, The Last Thing He Wanted and The Call of the Wild – all opening this weekend. Long-awaited sequels, fresh adaptations and originals round out the list of what to expect in the coming year. Take a look at the full list here. (Hollywood Reporter)
Grab your popcorn and hit the theaters to check out these films opening this weekend:
- The Call of the Wild – Buck is a big-hearted dog whose blissful domestic life gets turned upside down when he is suddenly uprooted from his California home and transplanted to the exotic wilds of the Alaskan Yukon in the 1890s. As the newest rookie on a mail-delivery dog sled team, Buck experiences the adventure of a lifetime as he ultimately finds his true place in the world.
- Brahms: The Boy II – Terror strikes when a boy discovers a doll that appears to be eerily human.
- Emma – Emma Woodhouse occupies herself with matchmaking and meddling in the lives of friends and family.
- The Last Thing He Wanted – When she helps her father broker an arms deal, a reporter becomes involved in the story she’s trying to break.
Click below to watch the latest trailers coming to a theater near you soon!
- The Way Back (March 6, 2020)
- The Hunt (March 13, 2020)
- The French Dispatch (July 24, 2020)
- The Personal History of David Copperfield (May 8, 2020)
- The Green Knight (May 29, 2020)
Or, test your movie knowledge with Shuffle, Noovie’s movie trivia mobile game!