Let’s talk about the top stories in Hollywood this week!
The top brass from the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) is optimistic that U.S. movie theaters could open as early as June, but anticipate that when cinemas first open back up, we’ll continue to have some social distancing. (Box Office, IndieWire)
Want to be the star of your next Zoom meeting? Studios are creating virtual meeting backgrounds from an awesome array of films:
- Top Gun: Maverick: Paramount pushed the movie to December, but you can download backgrounds here.
- Pixar: The Disney-owned animation studio has released backgrounds for favorites including Toy Story, Up, Finding Nemo, and Inside Out (here) as well as Cars and The Incredibles (here).
- A Quiet Place 2: Set the mood with this background for the sequel to John Krasinski and Emily Blunt’s thriller.
- Trolls World Tour: Download background images featuring characters from the animated sequel at this link
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run: Take a trip to The Lost City of Atlantic City with this virtual background. (Variety)
Director Jon M. Chu promises In the Heights will make its theatrical debut! “This community lived a life that deserves to be on the big screen and celebrated in the biggest magical way, [and] we’re going to deliver that,” Chu recently shared on the “Variety After-Show.” Based on the Broadway musical, the film highlights the culture of Manhattan’s Washington Heights. There is no word of the new release date just yet. (Variety)
MGM has nabbed rights to Ridley Scott’s true crime drama about the murder of fashion icon Guccio Gucci’s grandson Maurizio Gucci. Lady Gaga is in early negotiations to star in the project, which MGM will release on Thanksgiving 2021. (Variety)
A remake of The Night of the Hunter is currently in works thanks to Universal Pictures. The 1955 film, which is based on the novel by Davis Grubb, follows a religious fanatic, con man and murderer who marries a widow, knowing her deceased husband hid $10,000 from authorities following a bank robbery. While little details are known at this point, it is expected to be a contemporary version of the original thriller, rather than a period piece. Peter Gethers will produce alongside Amy Pascal, and Operation Finale’s Matt Orton will be penning the script. (/Film)
Transformers films director Michael Bay and his production company Bay Films just signed a multi-year first look agreement with Sony Pictures. (The Wrap)
Broadway theaters may have extended their hiatus until June 7, but even the shark from Jaws is looking forward to legit theaters getting back in business – Bruce, a musical about the making of Steven Spielberg’s Jaws is coming to the stage in 2021. (Deadline)
Our favorite movie stars keep doing their part to keep the positive vibes going and entertain movie audiences:
- Dwayne Johnson rapped a Moana song with daughter Tia while washing his hands (People). Later in the week, he even had time to confirm that Hobbs & Shaw will be getting a sequel. (/Film)
- Matthew McConaughey played virtual bingo with Austin seniors (6ABC)
- Bill & Ted‘s Alex Winter paid for his fans’ groceries (Noovie)
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Oprah Winfrey and others donated $12M to help launch America’s Food Fund, aimed at helping the most-at-risk people during the COVID-19 crisis. (Hollywood Reporter)
Studios continue to shift movie release dates to ensure moviegoers have a lot to look forward to, including this week’s changes:
- Mulan (7/6/20)
- Jungle Cruise (7/20/21)
- The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run (7/31/20)
- Candyman (9/25/20)
- Black Widow (11/6/20
- Free Guy (12/11/20)
- Top Gun: Maverick (12/23/2020)
- Nobody (2/26/21)
- The Eternals (2/12/21)
- Bob’s Burgers (4/9/21)
- Last Night in Soho (TBD)
As always, stay tuned to our friends at Noovie for all the latest film release updates in real time!
Click below to watch the latest trailers for movies coming to a theater near you soon!
We all wish we could go out to the movies right now, but in the meanwhile, you can get your movie fix online! Check out Noovie.com to learn where to find and stream your favorite movies at home, and be sure to follow WhatsNoovie on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more updates.
While you’re at it — why not test your movie knowledge with Shuffle, Noovie’s mobile movie trivia game?